I decided to chronicle my experience of going from misdiagnosis to living with Ehlers-Danlos Type III, and how it has affected most of my body. I am fortunate that getting a diagnosed led to my 15 year old son being diagnosed early, before he sustained any organic damage.

My hope is that my blog will allow others realize that they are not alone, and it's not "all in their head", it's very real and debilitating! I also hope that my Counseling background will inspire others not to neglect their mental health as EDS can push our limits; seek support!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

On EFT and Imagery

Yesterday, I had my first session of Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) and hypnosis. The hypnosis was really more akin to deep relaxation, and the "therapist" explained it as such since it was we didn't have much time to go deeper. First, let me say that I can already feel the difference! If this is placebo I WILL TAKE IT!!! This morning I woke up at 6am and upon opening my eyes, I immediately took the muscle relaxers because I always end up hurting myself while sleeping; 6 hours later when I started to feel pain again, I did the EFT technique (tapping) instead of taking the medicine right away. I reminded myself to stay open to method, and if it didn't work this time I could always take my medicine and try again next time. However, I completely got involved in the EFT process, and started working through the pain, emotions and material that came up and in the end did not need any medication at all! It wasn't until 4pm that I noticed that I hadn't needed the meds at all. But, because I had to drive, which causes a lot of pain and inflammation, I took half of my usual dose as prophylactic treatment. It was HALF the usual dose! I am so excited and can't wait until my next session!

The hypnosis or deep relaxation also felt very soothing. I have never been good at meditating or following guided imagery. One reason is that when I attempt it, my inner eye is always lit up with bright lights, flashing colors, stars and other swirly things. This is due to the migraine auras and they won't turn off. Another reason is that my body also constantly feels "loud".  Because the pain is constant and can be so widespread, it also feels like a vibration, a noise, throughout the body. This widespread pain is related to the use of accessory muscles utilized to support hypermobile joints, muscles, and ALL systems of the body. Perhaps that's why I feel it like a vibration throughout and see visual imagery in my inner eye, it also affects neural connections. However. I can't shut off the pain, there isn't a switch or I would have used it a Loooooong time ago! Rather, I had never had the pain shut off (other than that 1 week on Lyrica). Hypnosis felt like a shutting down of all sound and vibration in my body; it was the shut off switch. And, for the first time, I was able to produce a complete visualization with sounds, scent,  and feeling, that ACTUALLY FELT RELAXING! The "therapist" had asked me to tell her where I felt safe and I answered: safe is a warm day at the beach, with a warm breeze, under the shade of a palm tree, hearing the waves, and reading a good book! WOW! Where did THAT come from??? I don't know but obviously I have been there before and thanks to the hypnosis I know how to get back there and re-create that feeling of safety and relaxation. I have a tranquil-safe place!

I'm optimistic about the long term results of the EFT even though that was just session ( plus the little bit of amateur work I have done on my own). I'm hopeful, excited and optimistic and I haven't been that in a while. Anything that will help relieve the pain and reduce medication intake without harming the body or worsen the course of the disease is A-OKAY!!!

I had to take the physio-tape off early this week because it started giving me a rash (of course). I've also been wearing the support stockings/hose for the POTS but they've been causing bruising on my legs (the EDS makes my skin thin and fragile, prone to easy bruising). I also haven't noticed any benefit to having them on anyway. I haven't noticed any improvement in the POTS with the hose and only slightly with the Florinef, I still get dizzy a lot. Anyway, that will all have to wait until after the surgery is done and healed.

Trusting that all is well...

No comments:

Post a Comment