I decided to chronicle my experience of going from misdiagnosis to living with Ehlers-Danlos Type III, and how it has affected most of my body. I am fortunate that getting a diagnosed led to my 15 year old son being diagnosed early, before he sustained any organic damage.

My hope is that my blog will allow others realize that they are not alone, and it's not "all in their head", it's very real and debilitating! I also hope that my Counseling background will inspire others not to neglect their mental health as EDS can push our limits; seek support!

Sunday, July 22, 2012

What happens when you forget self-care

I'm still relatively pain free post-surgery, but I tested my limits yesterday and paid for it. I was feeling a little "lazy" because I had not experienced any pain and, frankly, couldn't stand seeing dishes piling-up anymore so I tried loading the dishwasher. How hard could that be right? VERY! It was only about half a load of light things like cups and silverware, but the bending motion, even while being very careful, was too much. So I ended up with some pain and was even worried that I might have hurt or undone something. It wasn't terrible pain but I couldn't sit or bend for the rest of the night and even eating was uncomfortable and caused GI upset.

The vein (literally the vein, not the skin) where my IV line was in is now scarred. I kept telling the nurse it was hurting, but they were unsure of my release day and expected to take it out "soon". I am also notorious for being difficult to get a line in because my veins are deceiving: I have the EDS transluscent skin, but the thin, rubbery veins that move around. The nurses kept flushing the line in an attempt to keep the one I had open. Now it's scarred and probably will not work in the future....such is the life with EDS.

The dizziness that I was experiencing when standing has progressed to vertigo all of the time, even while sitting and laying down. There are a few possibilities that are linked to EDS. None are life-threatening, however for an EDS'er vertigo, dizziness and low blood pressure due to POTS, can be dangerous because they create a fall risk and the possibility of dislocations, subluxations, broken bones, and herniated and slipped disks...just to name a few. Some of the possibilities for the vertigo are:

1. Hypermobility in the bones and joints connected to the ear. No treatment.
2. POTS related. Treat low blood pressure. No treatment for vertigo.
2.  Benign Paroxysmal Position Vertigo (BPPV) vertigo occurs when fluid in ear moves as head moves, the brain misinterprets the signal from the ear and attempts to maintain balance creating the vertigo. It is benign so there are no risk factors. No treatment. Begins spontaneously or after trauma, ear infection. No treatment.
3. Meniere's Disease. Crystal form in the ear and get stuck in the ear canal causing imbalance when the head moves. Causes uncontrollable vertigo, nausea and hearing loss. There is a technique that assists in moving the crystals through the ear canal, but surgery may be needed.

I don't see any of my doc's until the week of August 20th...after vacation (I hope I don't fall off the boat!) I could try to move an appointment up and have my son to drive me, since I can't drive for the next few weeks and definitely not with vertigo. However, let's not forget about the dishwasher incident! I'd be in such discomfort through the doc visit and testing, that I think I'll just wait it out until my scheduled appointment.

Thinking about having my son drive me got me to thinking...my oldest son is entering his Senior year, o I only have him to chauffeur me around for 1 more year. How am I going to get around after that?! Believe me, he's not stuck in the house or having to cancel with friend's because of me: he often stays at his friend's house the entire weekend, has band practice once a week and video game night with the band members once a week, and when school starts he'll have football Friday's at his HS. He has a pretty busy social calendar! On my part, I try to stay as mobile as possible but there are days the vertigo is just too much, or the migraines, or just the pain in general. Thinking ahead about this is not selfishness. It is a genuine need that I will need to have fulfilled. Granted, it is a year away and a lot of things can happen, but being proactive is better than being reactive. and allows for better and more options.

Instead of thinking lazy, what I should have done was reminded myself that I had major surgery 5 days ago! What I should have done is reminded myself that an EDS'er takes twice a long as a "normal" person to heal from surgery, so I should have patience with myself. What I should have done is thanked my body for all it HAS done, for putting forth the extra effort and energy than a non-EDS body does every single day. What I should have done is thank my body for getting me through 3 surgeries in 8 months! What I should have done is reminded myself that experiencing the healing process is self-care.

In the meantime, waiting in faith for the universe to lead the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment