I decided to chronicle my experience of going from misdiagnosis to living with Ehlers-Danlos Type III, and how it has affected most of my body. I am fortunate that getting a diagnosed led to my 15 year old son being diagnosed early, before he sustained any organic damage.

My hope is that my blog will allow others realize that they are not alone, and it's not "all in their head", it's very real and debilitating! I also hope that my Counseling background will inspire others not to neglect their mental health as EDS can push our limits; seek support!

Friday, July 6, 2012

On Well Wishers and Advice

I had to do it. I had to start prednisone again. The pain and limited mobility just got to be too much. But, I was given the choice to start it, in fact I had 2 prescriptions: I filled one and had it ready just in case, the other is on hold at the pharmacy and I can fill later if I need it again. Sad but true., I always have one on back-up! The one I had already filled I sometimes carried with me when my pain got to be an "8" on my pain scale. I was tempted to start it many times before today but I resisted as much as I could. I've been holding out for 2 weeks. I really, really did not want to have to take it! Another reason I waited was that my pain varied, it would get really intense several times a day but with the muscle relaxers, rest and ice, would come back down to a "5". However, because I was compensating with the rest of my body for the pain in my shoulder, everything else got affected: biceps, triceps, trapezium, and wrists. I'm having to wear wrist splints so I don't continue injuring them, but when I use them in puts the strain back in my arm and shoulders. I am so exhausted at the end of the day! In the end, EDS won over my will power. I'll be seeing the pain management doc in 1 month exactly and we'll talk about trigger point injections and cervical facet numbing at that time. Right now I need some relief...there are no brownie points for suffering.

I visited the new migraine doctor. He's actually an internist but has a specialty in treating migraines related to Ehlers-Danlos. He recently co-authored a paper on the subject with Dr. Tinkle, who is world-renowned on EDS. The doc, tested and confirmed the seriousness of my postural orthostatic tachycardic syndrome (POTS). He took my blood pressure lying down: 112/88 (I'm pretty sure) and when he stood me up it dropped to 92/66. I was so dizzy I had to hold on to a table and my chest was hurting! He said it was no wonder I was always fatigued and the significant drop put me at risk of passing out, in fact, he was surprised that I haven't passed out yet. I said it happened all the time, even while walking. He prescribe Fluorinef to help retain water (great, as if I weren't already) and raise blood pressure. Guess what Fluorinef is???? Yep, cortisone! Gatorade isn't cutting it, but I told him I noticed the difference when I did and didn't take it; when I take it the auras are not present. This confirmed it for him. 

I guess all roads lead to prednisone. Could it be any more obvious? Even the trigger point injections have cortisone in the them. I know there will always be some well wisher or just someone who believes they have found the fountain of youth and cure to all ailments: vegetarians, vegan, organics, hydroponics, vitamins C, B, D, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Fish oil and Omega 3's, CoQ10, ginger, honey, cinnamon, high protein, low carb, no carb....I have been there and I have done that! I still do some, many of these. But, there is no magic bullet. There is no cure. There is management. Part of that management is a healthy lifestyle and that is where these fall. I love my family and friends. I am tired of advice. Please understand, being tired of advice does not make me resistant to being helped. It also does not mean that I do not want to feel better. It means I must be careful with what I put in my body, because even seemingly harmless things can cause devastation. For example, TENS and massage have been harmful, so accupuncture is contraindicated; please do not insist! It also means that if it had any hope of making me feel better, LEGITIMATELY, I would have looked at it, and/or so would my team of doctors.  But, please don't stop caring, I still need love :) that doesn't hurt.

As always trusting and listening...

No comments:

Post a Comment